[DeTomaso] Seeking Tire Advice

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Sat Feb 13 12:16:57 EST 2010

2511 needs new tires.

I've been running Michelin Pilot Sports in 245/45x16" and 335/35x17".
Happy with the sizes, fitment and intend to make no changes.

BUT, Michelin no longer makes this specific series. As it turns out,
unless I want DOT-legal street/track tires, which will give me one or
two years use at best, apparently NO manufacturer makes matching-tread
tires in these two sizes.

So to keep these sizes, tread pattern will differ. This is not a deal-
killer for me.

I am now looking at Michelin Pilot SX MXX3 tires for the front and
Michelin Pilot Sport2 tires for the rear. Tread styles are cousins to
each other, more so than using the PS2 with any other front tire. And
perhaps handling characteristics are closer being they are from the
same manufacturer.

The SX MXX3 appears to be discontinued but seems to still be available
at some outlets.

Both are high-speed rated, both have 10/32" tread depth, and have
tread-wear ratings of 140/220 F/R, which is a lot better than the
30/40 ratings of the DOT track tires.

Anyone have feedback on any of this?

Thanks,

Larry