[DeTomaso] aftermarket heat-A/C unit

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Feb 12 21:32:10 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/12/10 18 14 26, matt at nwpantera.com writes:

> I have a forward mounted rad and after more evaluation there is not
> enough room.
> So that leaves the stock mount in the back.
>
>>>It's trivial to alter the angle of the radiator to accomodate a
condensor in front of it.   You can fit a condensor, radiator and sucker fans in the
front of a Pantera without even removing the stock fan mounts, if you
wanted to.

> >One thing about the stock mount position,this might sound silly but
> which direction does the condensor fan flow?
> Does it push hot engine and rad air through the condensor out the back or
> suck the outside air in? Since the belief is that the air is basically
> nuetral behind the car wouldn't the latter be the logical choice?
>
>>>It sucks air from the outside in, which is problematic at high speeds.
At low speeds it works fine, but as the speeds elevate, airflow is
compromised as a stagnant region forms at the back of the car.   This means that the
condensor (which is just a fancy word for 'radiator') no longer has any
meaningful airflow, so the high-temperature gas in the system isn't cooled.
Temperatures go up and pressures skyrocket, and BOOM you blow a hose, usually
right near the compressor in the engine bay.

If you plan on using your A/C at elevated speeds, it really does make sense
to put it up front.

> >I did notice one of the vendors mentioned a condensor mounted in the
> right wheel well.
> Have you ,or anyone done this? I've heard of oil coolers before but not
> the A/C.
>
>>>The only thing I'm aware of is that the front-mounted A/C setups mount
the dryer in the right front fender, behind the headlight, in the same
neighborhood as the horns.   I can't imagine getting any meaningful airflow in a
wheelwell for a condensor though.

> >Seems doable but besides being hidden and slightly cooler air than the
> back,I see no advantage,only negatives(dirt,grime,crap getting thrown up
> into it, accessibility)
> Any thoughts?
>
>>>You got mine--and I have a complete, brand-new stock-location A/C system
in boxes in my parts room, waiting for me to get the energy to install it
in my Pantera.   It's been there since 1992, and doesn't seem to be making
much headway towards getting into the car...:<(