[DeTomaso] aftermarket heat-A/C unit

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Feb 12 01:54:56 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/11/10 8:15:21 PM, matt at nwpantera.com writes:

> I'd like to also know if it would be better to mount the new condensor in
> the front ,the right wheel well(?) or the back. Any gains to be had?
> Regrets?

I like the condenser up front. It gets lots of airflow at no cost or
complication, a good unit does not restrict airflow into a good water radiator
(both being non-stock), and the car's wt and balance is improved. If you
consider that the cabin space in a Pantera is very close to that of a mini-pickup,
there are LOTS of cheap condensers available that don't completely cover a
Panteras water radiator.

The drawbacks are, you basically have to re-engineer the whole system if
you want optimization. Sure, some gys dragged stock hoses forward to a
front-mount of the stock condenser, and that seems to work too. And because
DeTomaso/Ford did some odd things with the Pantera's AC design, a redesign nowadays
should keep cars from blowing hoses whenever temps get above 100F (which is
precisely when we need A/C!) Go for it- J DeRyke