[DeTomaso] FW: While off topic - Propane

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 12:06:14 EST 2010

I was considering starting a sail boat charter business a few years ago. In
order to carry more then 12  passengers on a vessel it must be certified.
Now this is an abstract way of making a point about the safety of LPG but
the coast guard will not allow any LPG gas in any form for any purpose to be
carried on board a certified vessel. That means you can't even cook with it.
The propane can leak and being heavier then air it will displace the air in
any lower portion of the boat and asphyxiate any sleeping passengers. Also
the collected gas will explode at the first spark. If the Coast Guard feels
it is to dangerous to allow it's use on any Passenger vessel that's enough
of a warning for me. If you read any LPG safety materials they also warn you
about not  trying to extinguish an LPG fire. They say "let it burn" The
reason being LPG fires that are put out have a tendency to reignite
explosively shortly after the fire has been extinguished. I think LPG is a
great fuel for many applications  but not strapped to my ass in a car that
might be traveling at 55 mph (or higher) I know we are not comparing apples
to apples but when one of the rail road LPG tank cars springs a leak they
evacuate the surrounding area for  a mile or more around the tanker car. I
have read that compressed propane gas (in it's liquid form) has  explosive
power equivalent to TNT.

Boyd

P.S. I don't have  scientific evidence to support the TNT comparison it is
anecdotal information. I can't get more supporting info because the guy who