[DeTomaso] While off topic - Propane

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 09:49:55 EST 2010

Thread drift some more, here...

Ah yes.... the 702 V-12's.

Another thing that Garret Farms used. They were going through a experiment
at the time.
What works better and is more economical? A cheap, off the shelf engine that
you throw away when it goes south or an industrial strength engine that you
rebuild when necessary?

So, they had 428 Fords, 427 Chevies, 702 GM's, etc. vs Minneapolis Molines
and other industrical engines on their irrigation wells. When the sand from
the well starts wearing out the impellers on the direct drive pumps, you
just crank up the rpm's to keep the flow rate up... While the Minnies were
throttled way back and running through a gear box.

I have to say I was very impressed at the time to see a 702ci Jimmy on
natural gas running flat out, screaming like hell with the exhaust side of
all four heads glowing red hot, the headers (no mufflers) glowing red hot
and blue flame about a foot and a half long coming out all four pipes. At
night, it was very impressive.

One of the 702's was on a booster pump for a 'walker', the big irrigation
things you see that drive around in a circle, and it started blowing oil.
Oscar, the mechanic, and I were told that in no circumstances do we shut it
down. It _must_ run until the end of the month. I kid you not... We had to
pour 5 gallons of oil into that thing every 12 hours because it was blowing
it out so bad and I absolutely hated getting close to it. It was running at
over 5000rpm and it was rattling and knocking BIG time... it literally
sounded like it was going to go boom any second. We got to the end of the
month and drove out to shut it down. It wouldn't stop unless we turned off
the gas. It came rattling and banging to a halt and sat there smoking...
came back later when it had cooled off and pulled the heads just to see what
was wrong. I'm not kidding here... I could put my little finger between the
cylinder wall and the piston on one of the cylinders... That sure explained
the rattling and banging...

OK, back to Panteras....

Kirby