[DeTomaso] Wilkinson's website

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Feb 10 22:11:20 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/7/10 9:36:22 PM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> I'll tell you what's even funnier.... is that sometimes everything on
> one page will be one number off.  Here is a made up example.  Item one
> is a nut, but has a photo of the bolt.  Item two is the bolt, but has a
> photo of the bushing, item three is the bushing but has a photo of the
> a-arm...etc.  So... sometimes if you click the number before, or after
> the part you want, you'll get the -right- photo, but the wrong part
> number and description.

...and here's what's even funnier than that.   Steve has 'Easter eggs'
hidden all over his website.

Consider steering wheels for example.   Going to his site, here:

http://www.panterasbywilkinson.com/webpages/catalog/ill7a.html

shows you a drawing with two steering wheels.   Click on "1-A" and you're
taken here:

http://www.panterapartsusa.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?prod_id=03001A

and click on "1-B-C" and you're taken here:

http://www.panterapartsusa.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?prod_id=03001B

Those are the only two steering wheels that are hotlinked on his site and
ordinarily one would presume they are the only wheels he has on offer.   Ah,
but if you get clever, and simply delete the "B" at the end of the link
above, and substitute the next few letters in the alphabet, you get these hidden
gems:

http://www.panterapartsusa.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?prod_id=03001C (Black
Momo Prototipo)
http://www.panterapartsusa.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?prod_id=03001D (Custom
Momo Prototipo)
http://www.panterapartsusa.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?prod_id=03001E
(Wood-rim Momo)
http://www.panterapartsusa.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?prod_id=03001F
(Longchamp/Deauville)
http://www.panterapartsusa.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?prod_id=03001G   (Momo
wheel mounting hub)
http://www.panterapartsusa.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?prod_id=03001H   (Momo
quick-disconnect hub)
http://www.panterapartsusa.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?prod_id=03001I   (Momo
racing wheel)
http://www.panterapartsusa.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?prod_id=03001J   (Momo
wheel packaged with removable hub)

This is the most extreme example I've found, but there are other, similar
examples where he has simply added a new letter suffix to an existing factory
part number, to delineate a substitute, aftermarket part.

The things you find when you have too much time on your hands....:>)