[DeTomaso] fuel tank installation???

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Feb 10 21:13:36 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/10/10 3:12:14 PM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> 1)  does this single strap hold the gas tank in place.
>
> 2)  what kind of material should I put where the tank rests on the frame
> and between the tank and the strap?

The single strap, plus gravity does hold the tank in place. Remember that
22 gallons of gas weighs 147 lbs plus the tank's wt, so its not inclined to
move much. Loosening the strap, its possible to shift a stock (mostly empty)
tank towards the outside of the engine bay by as much as 3/4 inch. So if you
have header clearance issues, this comes in handy. Once a tank is shifted,
I add a small bolt & nut through the clamp's slot so the strap (and tank)
can't shift back.

The stock insulating rubber was a hard semi-porous foam, and absorbed
water. Then the rubber held water close to the tank surface. The steel tanks were
mostly unpainted from the factory, so this combination sometimes caused
rust-through of tanks from the outside! If you have a tank out, a good epoxy
primer and paint will quickly cure this. As far as replacing the rubber,
virtually any kind of medium-soft rubber belting will work as a cushion, and it
won't be porous and hold water. I haven't checked but I woundn't be surprised
if some of the vendors have stuff in stock that does all this without you
having to reinvent the wheel, so-to-speak. Good luck- J DeRyke