[DeTomaso] Ferrari 360 maintenance costs-- NPC

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Feb 8 20:18:30 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/8/10 3:39:45 PM, lotus0005 at hotmail.com writes:

> Uh, help me out here - I did a Google on BMW 840 - what am I expected to
> get excited about????

That car is everything a Ferrari 550 Maranello is, except not quite as
quick.   They are speed-limited to 155 mph but would easily do more if the
limiter was removed, they handle well, are quiet, solid, well-built, comfortable,
and with the V-12 engine (the 850) they make all those delicious V-12
noises.   They carried a sticker price of $110-125K when new, which is why 850s
are pretty rare.   If you look at the numbers imported, it was only a few
hundred cars per year.

The 840s are almost as fast, with a much cheaper V8.   I think their
sticker was $35K less or something like that, when new?

Today, 850s are all over the place, from $10-35K, while 840s (which are
absolutely identical except for the engine) can be down as low as $6K.   As
long as they don't break, they're a bargain.   You'll never get more car for
less money than that.