[DeTomaso] License Plate Recess

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Feb 8 13:55:59 EST 2010

Bill, some Panteras as-stock from the factory have the rear plate area
slightly offset to one side, and some have a larger recess than others, maybe
for the long narrow Euro-type plates. Yours appears well centered between the
tail lights. On our '72 L, I have the plate screwed directly to the body
with no extra plate in between, and it hangs down about 1-1/2" over the
body-break line, so it appears the whole recessed area including the mandatory
plate light, would have to be moved upward and/or inward at least an inch,
possibly interfering with the decklid latch on the other side. Are you sure this
will be worth the trouble- in an area of no beneficial airflow?
If there was any beneficial airflow, maybe a formed transparent blister
over the plate could be made- possibly incorporating those little
anti-photo-radar striations. Then, there would at least be a reason for what looks like a
massive amount of work in a structural area. FWIW- J DeRyke