[DeTomaso] Engine shots 0 #6143

Dave Londry davel at emspace.com
Mon Feb 8 02:34:14 EST 2010

OK - if you engine guys would take a look please.    (It takes the
hi-res version to get the detail)
By cylinder - Some plug fouling would be normal.     (the last 2 times
it was fired were monthly warmups - no drive).

Plug barely fouled
Valves normal
Some coke on the piston - some chipping at the edges

Plug fouled - big layer on insulator
Valves have recent deposits
Some coke on the piston - some chipping at the edges

Plug fouled - big layer on insulator
Valves normal
Piston pretty clean - 2 funny marks - 1/2" from centre 4 o'clock & 7 o'clock

Plug perfect
Valves normal
Some coke on the piston

Plug fouled - big layer on insulator
Valves have recent deposits
Some coke on the piston - some chipping at the edges

Plug near perfect
Valves normal
Solid layer of coke - pretty recent

Plug fouled - big layer on insulator
Valves have recent deposits
Some coke on the piston - some chipping at the edges

Plug perfect
Valves have recent deposits - exhaust valve was the one with the hacked
up stem
Some coke on the piston - some chipping at the edges

Here are the questions:
- Why would I see so much variation?
   I'm used to straight 6s running 1&6 lean, but I don't see a pattern here.
- The chipping is detonation I guess? I've been playing some ugly lean
mixtures in my emission control wars.
- The marks on #3 aren't a sign of problems below are they? I've never
seen a crack in forged aluminum.
- Anything else?

tks
dave