[DeTomaso] Ferrari 360 maintenance costs-- NPC

LS lashdeep at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 7 18:07:01 EST 2010

I've owned 4 Ferraris and a Countach. All the horror stories are complete BS. These are regular cars with overbuilt engines and transmissions.

I have always maintained mine religiously, mostly myself.  No weird failures or repairs, but parts are expensive. Out of all the cars, I replaced a set of points, one brake master cyl, and retapped an oil drain plug hole. Other than that, it was routine. Also very important is to drive them often.

The numbers may be accurate, but what cars are actually needing all of these items? Maybe if they were poorly purchased used. One of my buddies has been daily driving his 360 since new and has 60k miles on it. He hasn't done much beyond regular services. Clutch is original.

I personally know about 50 people with Ferraris and over the last 12 years and have only heard of one timing belt failure.

Of course Ferrari recommends 3 yrs...it's a good business model. They would recommend 12 months if they could get people to believe it. It's fear...they will throw out the $35k rebuild cost so everyone will line up at the service department.

I know of three 308s with over 100k with no rebuilds, two have their original clutches. I also know of a few TRs with over 100k and another with almost 200k with no engine or trans repairs. The 200k one has had a clutch replaced once.

LS