[DeTomaso] How best to treat bare metal

Douglas Kelm dakelm at qwest.net
Thu Feb 4 17:44:25 EST 2010

Gibbs Brand. Enough said. www.roadsters.com/gibbs/  or www.gibbsbrand.net/

----- Original Message -----
From: <steven.liebenow at att.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 10:47 AM
Subject: [DeTomaso] How best to treat bare metal

> Mike,
>
> You are correct in that "primer" is porous and will allow metal to rust if
that is all that is done to them. However I think what Gary was saying about
and epoxy primer is correct, that a "primer-sealer" should be used to seal
the metal.

> Many times these are a two part paint, with a hardener added to the
primer, effectively being a thinned down version of polyester/epoxy resin as
used in fiberglassing!!!  Of course there is stuff in there to make it look
grey or red or whatever, along with things to add bulk for filling surface
defects etc.

> These are VERY tough finishes and do NOT absorb water.  I have a 67
Fairlane fender that I sprayed with this stuff and then decided not to use
it for my car.... It has been sitting out back exposed to the elements for
some 10-14 years, and no rust through the paint! It would be a giant orange
fender if I had only sprayed it with conventional primer.....

> You typically block sand this stuff to get a smooth finish and then put a
conventional primer over it for the paint to adhere to.