[DeTomaso] How best to treat bare metal

steven.liebenow at att.net steven.liebenow at att.net
Thu Feb 4 11:47:31 EST 2010

Mike,

You are correct in that "primer" is porous and will allow metal to rust if that is all that is done to them. However I think what Gary was saying about and epoxy primer is correct, that a "primer-sealer" should be used to seal the metal.

Many times these are a two part paint, with a hardener added to the primer, effectively being a thinned down version of polyester/epoxy resin as used in fiberglassing!!!  Of course there is stuff in there to make it look grey or red or whatever, along with things to add bulk for filling surface defects etc.

These are VERY tough finishes and do NOT absorb water.  I have a 67 Fairlane fender that I sprayed with this stuff and then decided not to use it for my car.... It has been sitting out back exposed to the elements for some 10-14 years, and no rust through the paint! It would be a giant orange fender if I had only sprayed it with conventional primer.....

You typically block sand this stuff to get a smooth finish and then put a conventional primer over it for the paint to adhere to.

At least that is what I've read and have done.....with very acceptable results!

Steve