[DeTomaso] Big Block in a Pantera

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 1 19:36:18 EST 2010

I’ve heard all the stories about big blocks in Pantera, but I haven’t heard
much in the 1st person.

For those guys that have really big engines in their Pantera – what’s it
like?

On the track – ¼ mile, around curves, braking

On the street – noisy?, sucks gas?, hot?, is the sound right?

Maintenance – is it a pain to change oil, change plugs, set timing, adjust
valves, etc.?

Like I said, I’ve heard all the stories – about how 1st gear is useless,
it’s too heavy, and so on.  Until I’ve heard it from the horses mount, so to
speak, I have to take those comments with a grain of salt.

I’ve mentioned before that I had a 428 in a Mustang.  It was loud and hot.
It handled just like a small block, though.  It felt like it had 500HP more
than a small block.  Of course, it didn’t, but it felt that way anyway.  It
got around 17mpg – not great, but good enough to drive it a lot.

Goran – I’m especially interested in your 500” Ford.  What was it like?  Did
you drive it on the street much or was it mostly a track car?

I’m not planning an engine change any time soon.  I’m just curious.