[DeTomaso] Engine re-assembly questions for #6143.

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Mon Feb 1 13:40:20 EST 2010

Dear Dave,

While fixin' whut's broke, may be the fastest and cheapest short-term way to get back on the road whilst you decide whether to pull the tainted "re-built" engine or replace it with a crate engine, I think that there are enough issues with this engine that make it suspect for anything other than the short term. It is about half dis-assembled now, I would suggest that there may be some economy, albeit unpleasant, in simply biting the bullet and pulling the engine and see what you actually have. I always look on these situations as challenges to improve the engine and performance----after I get over the potential cost. A fellow Pantera went through this exercise recently and found similar multiple "what were they thinking" examples of screw-ups, poor assembly and part selection. While it is now running much better, he discovered that the crank assembly still has stock rods and rod bolts and is destined for the full monty of complete re-build in the near future. Good luck.

Warmest regards, Chuck Engles