[DeTomaso] Champion 71 RC12YC

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Dec 30 15:05:16 EST 2010

In a message dated 12/30/10 7:56:08 AM, chuck at pantera.ws writes:

> Like many on this list, I'm not an expert but I've been playing with
> Fords, HDs, Sportsters, RevTechs, Triumph bikes and cars, MG's, Nortons, VW,
> BSA, Simca, Chebes, BMW, Porches etc, etc, etc since I was 14. It's been my
> experience over the 48+ years that if the rest of the engine is 'correct' I
> could attach a plug wire to a butter knife, jam it in the hole and that
> SOB would fire.

Absolutely agree. But the original question was on plug reach, and we still
don't know what reach (threaded length) plugs Edelbrock specifies for their
new aluminum heads, and whether they're designed to run gasketed or
gasket-less. And of course, running a too-long plug can induce physical contact
between a high compression piston & a proruding plug nose. Many alloy heads use
a thicker deck and thus a longer plug, and some alloy heads can run
w/without a spark plug gasket.
My SVO aluminum heads specify a 5/8"-reach plug either with or without a
spark plug gasket. Aluminum-head Corvette plugs fit it fine; I just don't tell
the heads what brand's in place..... I think ACs are in there now but they
might be Champions or Motorcraft. On the street, they all work well for me.
Running a short plug changes the way my engine runs at higher rpms (probably
has to do with the Ford Duraspark ignition) and will build up carbon on the
bare threads exposed below a short plug.   FWIW- J Deryke