[DeTomaso] good oil filter

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Thu Dec 30 14:57:59 EST 2010

The resistance to flow even of air thru a tube is inversely related to the diameter of the tube to the fourth power. (If you decrease the diameter to half, the resistance goes up to 16 times what it was.)

So the diameter of the openings will be the primary determiner of the resistance.  It would be interesting to see magnified views of the filter material in the single-use and rebuildable filters to see how the latter can provide lower resistance with equal filtration.

In the BMW community, the expert mechanics pretty much accept that OEM air filters do a better job than reusable ones in terms of engine life expectancy.

Jim Oddie