[DeTomaso] Downgrading a Cleveland and header flanges for non-pantera

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Dec 30 02:02:27 EST 2010

In a message dated 12/29/10 18 53 9, kdb at kbyrnes.com writes:

> The question is, do I try to downgrade my current
> engine, buy another engine to prepare, keep mine, sell mine, or put on
> big boy pants and run the current engine in the "unlimited" class?  I
> can probably run for a year as is but after that, I'd need to do the
> engine, fuel cell, roll cage, and 15" wheels too.  Comments?  Suggestions?

Don't spend money turning a great engine into a less-great engine.   Also,
if you are going to go vintage racing, kiss this Pantera goodbye as a road
car.   Do you really want to be without a Pantera for the street?

What I'd really suggest is buying a second Pantera, a clapped-out beater
with a standard 351C, then race-prepping and running that.   There are plenty
of them out there.   I just saw an ad for a red Pre-L in Virginia (I think)
with a $22K asking price, could probably be had for much less.   It's one of
these 'ran when parked' cars that could probably be running again with just
a bit of tinkering.   Gut it, sell all the bits you don't need on E-bay,
and go racing!