[DeTomaso] Pantera Roller with V6 from 87 GN

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Dec 27 14:15:53 EST 2010

In a message dated 12/27/10 5:04:27 AM, bob at dodgecarroll.com writes:

> I think Peter may be on the right track by suggesting an early Olds
> Toronado tranny. Pretty
> compact & has been used in many drag race cars over the years. Not sure
> what it would take
> to adapt it to your V6 though? These early trannys didn't require you to
> mount your engine
> sideways - it could mount like the original ZF.

They were also quite wide with the tranny alongside the diff, which might
make fitting it in between the rather narrow Pantera frame rails a big
problem. Even with the 6-speed   Ford GT trans, its also too wide requiring the
rear suspension pickup points to be moved and custom a-arms fabricated- which
changes the excellent geometry we now have. And early Toronado transaxles
were all iron- the later ones were in aluminum cases. Not saying it won't fit,
but an automatic in a sportscar? Why bother? FWIW- J DeRyke