[DeTomaso] Gear drive (was RE: Radical fuel economy improvement)

Tomas Gunnarsson guson at home.se
Fri Dec 24 17:21:36 EST 2010

Like you say, the engagement of the smaller wheel is not as deep and the
teeth only make contact on one side. If you consider how the wheels rotate
the smaller wheel is making contact in a way that indicates that the cam
gear drives the idler and the idler drives the crank gear. This is standing
still of course. My guess is that the smaller gear is under no load during
operation and is there to take care of kickbacks during starting and idle.
As soon as the engine is under load the bigger gear is under constant load
and the small one just tags along. I think I've seen gear drives with only
one small gear. Where's that in-engine movie now? :-)

Tomas