[DeTomaso] Radical fuel economy improvement

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Dec 23 21:39:20 EST 2010

In a message dated 12/23/10 17 54 44, bob at dodgecarroll.com writes:

> Wow! Unlimited mileage improvement BUT a real pain in the
> wallet....No??

No--I'm smart enough to have the 100-mile tow option with AAA; I get three
or four free tows a year. :>)

What actually happened was that I was sitting there adjusting the idle
speed, and I noticed that my fuel pressure was dropping (I have a gauge on the
fuel feed, right by the carb, a brilliant idea that I didn't come up with).
At first it was running just over 3 psi, which is low (it normally runs
about 5 or 5.5).   As I watched it, it slowly dropped to just under three, then
two, then 1.5.   Engine rpm made no difference.   Then there was an
Expensive Noise coming from the front of the engine, so I shut it off and called it
a day.

Best case scenario?   The fuel pump came apart.   The Old Mechanic With The
Silver Hair who was there with me theorized that the fuel pump eccentric
came loose on the front of the cam gear, meaning I'll have to pull the water
pump and timing chain cover to go in there and sort it out.

GRRRRR!!!!!!