[DeTomaso] gumball pantera constant reverse clutch problems

LEVITT1946 at aol.com LEVITT1946 at aol.com
Tue Dec 21 12:33:21 EST 2010

Dear Friends ,

Happy Holidays to All !!!!!!!!!

My frustrations continue with the reverse gear grinding. I believe air
getting into the clutch system is the issue or the throw is not enough.

When the car is cold she seems to shift into reverse fine. All forward
gears are never a problem hot or cold ....only reverse gear is an issue. This
seems to occur when the car is hot.

Parts installed:
New clutch master
All new linkage front to back
New trunion
New long throw slave (  any easy hints on adjustment for best throw?  )
Hugh Casey told me his way to adjust and that will be tried.

The new clutch master has a plastic lid. The lid seems tight but should it
have a gasket to seal air from getting in? Is there a metal lid available
that  has a gasket ? Could this plastic lid be a cause of air getting into
the system?

Is there a way to test for air leaks in the hydraulic clutch system?

We have tried gravity bleeding overnight with the car raised in front. No
change .

Open for ideas to get this baby on the road again with no faults.

Happy Holidays ,

Bob Levitt