[DeTomaso] A question about foot pedal adjustment possibilities

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Dec 19 22:22:47 EST 2010

In a message dated 12/19/10 18 44 21, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

> Hello! I have a question? I've been looking at a couple of panteras.
> 1971 and a 1972. My question is does any one make a after market kit
> that opens up the area where the foot pedal are so there not so close!
> Thanks for your time. A.R.Slaughter

The early Panteras had interior kick panels that were made of a somewhat
flexible fiberglass.   The contour of the panels makes them intrude on the
pedal area.   There is a substantial amount of free space between the back side
of the panel, and the central chassis.

It's a very simple matter to utilize a sheetmetal screw and a fender
washer, and screw the panel tightly to the central chassis.

The later cars used hard molded plastic panels, which had a shape that
allowed for a bit more foot room, but they still benefit from this modification.

Here's a photo of my late-style panel:

The early panels intrude much more, and thus the benefits are even greater.

If fore-aft room is a problem, it's possible to space the entire pedal
assembly forward an inch or two, by installing an appropriately shaped spacer
between the pedal box mount and the chassis, in the front trunk.   A smaller
brake booster will probably be required, but those are readily available.