[DeTomaso] Definition of Ins. EE response

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Dec 19 21:12:18 EST 2010

In a message dated 12/19/10 18 08 12, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

> I just replaced all the wires with Taylors, so I doubt it's the wires,
> although the coil wire's male brass connector is longer than the one on the
> wire I replaced.  The boot just barely covers the very end of the female
> socket.  I think if it ever doesn't start, I'll try cutting a little of the
> brass piece off so the coil wire pushes in far enough that the boot fits
> completely over the socket.  I'll see if that makes any difference.

Uh...the coil wire boot simply slides up and down on the wire.   It's just
there to prevent water from getting in there.   So, you should slide the
coil wire down into the coil so it makes positive contact, then position the
boot as necessary to ensure a good seal.   Don't start hacking up the end of
the brass piece for nothing....

In fact, this makes me wonder if you're getting good contact, i.e. it's
possible that your coil wire isn't seating properly in the coil, or the
distributor cap?   If the rubber boot hits the (whatever) before the wire end
touches its contact, then the spark has to literally jump from the wire to the
(whatever).