[DeTomaso] Definition of Ins. EE response

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Dec 19 20:39:22 EST 2010

In a message dated 12/19/10 17 32 59, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

> Maybe the coil isn't even the problem.  I've been hoping (ironically) the
> car wouldn't start again so I could check to be sure the MSD box has a
> spark (the test is easy), but now, as if to taunt me, the car starts perfectly
> every time I try!

It's a lot cheaper/easier to change the coil wire, than the coil.   So I'd
start there.

FWIW I had a huge ignition miss in my Pantera, both with the old engine and
the new one.   The entire ignition system was carried over from the old to
the new engine.   I eventually theorized that one of the plug wires was
grounded out against the engine screen, and sure enough, that's what it was.
The spark was jumping through a hole in the boot, to the screen instead of
firing the plug.   Replacing the worn boot, and bending the screen back to the
stock shape (it had become tweaked somehow???) gave me the necessary
clearance, and fixed the problem.

Also FWIW, one of my motorcycles had a huge ignition miss for years, that
kept it parked.   The problem turned out to be a failed plug wire--it looked
absolutely perfect but the end of the wire had corroded, underneath the
metal contact.   Simply opening up the contact, slicing 1/4 inch off the wire
and putting the end back on, fixed it but good.

So, if you suspect a coil, start with a coil wire.   IF that doesn't fix
it, then move on to the coil.

The wire makers all sell replacement wires, or universal wire repair kits.
 Due to the long proximity from the Pantera's normal coil location to the
distributor, a normal coil wire probably won't be long enough.   Here's what
Summit has to offer:

http://tinyurl.com/SummitCoilWires

Finch-style link. :>)