[DeTomaso] definition of insanity disproven

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Sun Dec 19 19:42:11 EST 2010

My (limited) understanding is that high resistance in a coil has the same effect as the old ballast resistors-- they limit the amount of energy that goes thru the coil.
This decreases the intensity of the spark but makes life easier for whatever is driving the coil-- in the old days, points and condenser, or these days a capacitor in the ignition box.

In looking at the Crane Cams website regarding their XR700 and related boxes, there is the comment that if the box gets really hot you have to change to a coil with a higher resistance or add a ballast resistor.

So it may be that the key to long life of an MSD box is to not push the limits of coil low resistance. This would mean the 0.7 Ohms coil would be a good choice.

HELP!! WE NEED A REAL ENGINEER TO CHIME IN!!

Jim