[DeTomaso] California engine swap exemption question

Stephen VamVaketis vamvaketis at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 10:51:51 EST 2010

I have a question for those who have knowledge about California
registration and smog check exemption rules. I recently bought
Purgold, a 1973 that was registered in California for many years.
However, after being put up for auction, it did get registered in
South Dakota in 2008 before being purchased this year by a private
dealer in Oregon who I bought the car from. Purgold had a Ford 4.6
engine with fuel injection installed, so it is an engine swap car. I
understand the difference between smog check and total smog exemption.
The car has been worked on since I bought it in September, so I have
not registered it yet. I understand I was supposed to do this within
10 days from buying the car, but can get that altered. My question is,
is there some kind of exception to the California smog rules where a
newer engine swap requires that the car get reclassified to the newer
engine year (1994, I think) smog rules? Since the 4.6 is a cleaner
engine than the Cleveland, my hope is there is some kind of waiver
that can allow me to re-register the car in California with the newer
engine and still maintain the car as a 1973, my primary concern. I've
been doing some research on this topic but haven't found a
comprehensive answer to my specific situation. Unless, of course,
there is no such option as any kind of engine swap waiver.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can either answer my question and/or
provide a viable (cost effective, practical, etc.) alternative.

Steve "Catbert"