[DeTomaso] water temp sender

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Dec 11 20:09:49 EST 2010

In a message dated 12/10/10 17 17 54, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

> It appears the bottle has to be grounded for the temp gauge to work!
> After grounding it, things work fine again.  It reads 20 degrees hotter than
> it should, which, of course, is normal.

All of this is because your sender is the wrong place.

De Tomaso stupidly put the sender in the water bottle, instead of on the
engine where it belongs.   All other Ford cars had the sender mounted on the
front of the engine.

At the end of the day, you don't give a damn how hot the water is in the
bottle--what you care about is the temperature of the engine.

Back in 1989 when I first bought my Pantera, a week later one of the water
hoses came loose and all the coolant leaked out.   The temp gauge initially
went up, but then it went back down again, leading me to believe that the
problem had resolved itself.   Then the motor started to self-destruct!

The sender on the bottle was reading ambient air temperature.   If it had
been on the engine it would have read accurately and I would have known to
stop.

Move it where it belongs--the good news is that the stock wire will reach
without modification.