[DeTomaso] Water temp sender?

David Gardner close_enough at losalamos.com
Fri Dec 10 12:20:54 EST 2010

     Actually, the way to do this is place the sensor in the heating
water, and record the resistance of the sensor with a multimeter along
with the temperature of the water measured with a reliable
thermometer.  Start with room temperature, and heat to boiling.  Keep
in mind there can be modest temperature differences in boiling water
in a stovetop pan, so keep the thermometer near the sensor.  For those
confused at this point, only the sensing end of the temperature sensor
is placed in the water, just as only the sensing end communicates with
the coolant.
    Purchase a potentiometer from Radio Shack having a range larger
than the highest sensor recorded resistance.  Install the gauge in the
vehicle.  Set the potentiometer to any resistance in the measured
sensor range, and connect it between the wire to the gauge and ground
(polarity is unimportant).  Read the temperature indicated on the
gauge.  Compare to the temperature measured in the pan of heated
water.  (Local altitude will affect the highest pan water temperature
possible; 195 F is the highest we can obtain where I live.)
     This process can be applied to any temperature gauge, and, if
there is doubt regarding temperature gauge readings, should be.

Compliments of the Season to you all.