[DeTomaso] 1972 Gumball Pantera reverse issues

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Dec 9 23:40:39 EST 2010

In a message dated 12/9/10 12 13 31, LEVITT1946 at aol.com writes:

> CAR GRINDS WHEN TRYING TO GO INTO REVERSE.
> WHEN CAR IS COLD I CAN SHIFT INTO REVERSE AT MOST TIMES.
> WHEN ENGINE IS WARMED UP.....NO REVERSE
> I SLOWLY TRY TO GO INTO REVERSE AND FEEL SOMETHING TURNING AND SHE
> GRINDS,
> I HAVE TO SHUT THE CAR OFF AND RESTART WITH THE CAR ALREADY IN  REVERSE.
>
> I am open for any and all help.  Does this sound like something is  broken
> inside of the ZF?

Not at all.   You are simply experiencing insufficient clutch
disengagement.   This could be caused by two things--misadjustment, or air in the system.

Simply bleed the system, and adjust it per the manual and you should be
fine.

FWIW some say it's a good idea to shift into a forward gear (I was taught
to use 2nd gear), prior to shifting into reverse.   Whether it's superstition
or not I can't tell you.