[DeTomaso] 1972 Gumball Pantera reverse issues

LEVITT1946 at aol.com LEVITT1946 at aol.com
Thu Dec 9 15:12:48 EST 2010

Dear Pantera Owners ,

Happy Holidays to All!

After one year in Restoration the car has been on and off the road .  The
engine is purring just like she did across the USA.  Cooling  system great
Updated to 100 amp alternator  ...working great as  long as i am moving.
Takes a higher RPM now for the updated Alternator to kick  in.

The shift linkage had unseen damage from the accident in the  Gumball.The
local body shop here on Long Island has done terrific work.The shift  linkage
was bent and the u joints were damaged.All linkage has now been replaced
and the u joints(needle point) are from Dennis Quella.

Rebuilt Pedal Box
Installed and bled new Clutch Master Cylinder
Installed new bleed screw in slave.
Replaced all linkage and u joints in shift assembly
Replaced Trunion bearing as well

Here is the issue:

CAR GRINDS WHEN TRYING TO GO INTO REVERSE.
WHEN CAR IS COLD I CAN SHIFT INTO REVERSE AT MOST TIMES.
WHEN ENGINE IS WARMED UP.....NO REVERSE
I SLOWLY TRY TO GO INTO REVERSE AND FEEL SOMETHING TURNING AND SHE  GRINDS,
I HAVE TO SHUT THE CAR OFF AND RESTART WITH THE CAR ALREADY IN  REVERSE.

I am open for any and all help.  Does this sound like something is  broken
inside of the ZF?

Best Regards and Happy Holidays ,

Bob Levitt

PS...At one time I was told there was a Scandinavian man in the Carolinas
that rebuilds ZF .Does anyone know his name and number ?

PSS. Does anyone have a name of a ZF rebuilder on Long Island?