[DeTomaso] Tjaarda dynasty

zumzum at cox.net zumzum at cox.net
Sun Dec 5 10:41:46 EST 2010

Sean,
Tom's father who designed the 1935 Zephyr also as a a young man work for the Spyker auto and aircraft factory.
Then 80 or so years later Tom designs a Spyker in 2002. When Tom stayed with us eight months ago I showed him
a Spyker history book of mine and he pointed to his father in a picture of factory workers. A proud moment.
I think the year was about 1921. He was so proud of his design heritage and father.
Many of the cars that Tom has centered around since 1968 have been Ford enginned; Mangusta, Pantera, all de Tomaso cars,
Laforza and the new model range his is dealing with now use Ford engines. His is not an engineer and will quickly tell you so.
He told us as, I know since I work on them, how complicated and difficult design work has become due to all the regulations
and collisional space requirements.
Take care,
Jeff Cobb, Mangusta 1196
http://liveoakconcours.org