[DeTomaso] cooling question

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sat Dec 4 14:30:54 EST 2010

Chris,
For what it's worth.  I replaced our radiator at a Tech Session at Roger
Sharps house one year on our way to the Fun Rally.  The old one was
leaking slightly, like yours.  By the end of the day after nearly
everyone had gone home, we found the brand new brass radiator had a
cracked fitting and was leaking.  We put a bottle of stop leak in it and
drove to Vegas.

Along the way we found it didn't totally stop the leak but it slowed it
down enough it was manageable.  We'd add more water every so often and
we made it to Vegas without incident.  While in Vegas, I contacted the
same vendor and traded him for a new Fluidyne Aluminum radiator (I also
gave him a bit more money).  I swapped the radiator out in the pits at
Las Vegas Motor Speedway.  Took me all of about two hours with very
little assistance.

My point is, it -can- be done quickly and easily.  Here are a couple of
tips:
- Put cardboard in front of the radiator to help prevent any damage to
the front once it's loose and ready to come up and out.  Same for
installation.  In my case, I still had the front fans, and even though I
removed everything, there were still objects in the way.  The cardboard
saves from damaging the radiator when one arm gets tired and drops it.  :)
- Use a good fender cover.  That sucker isn't exactly light and you'll
want to rest on the way out.
- Be prepared for a bit of a coolant mess.  Use a good size catch bowl,
drain in increments.  Remember there are several gallons in the system.

Good luck,
Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
&  Shelley Marie