[DeTomaso] cooling question

tmshinro at aol.com tmshinro at aol.com
Sat Dec 4 11:00:57 EST 2010

I had the pleasure to go through this radiator repair last summer....TWICE.    I would never put stop leak into my Pantera, especially seeing how a Ranger pickup I inherited was gunked up so bad with the stuff that I could hardly get the radiator to drain out the petcock.   Apparently my step dad thought he could fix a leaking water pump with a gallon of stop leak :).

The radiator is pretty simple to pull on the Pantera (with another set of hands to help) and I had to do it twice because the radiator repair shop didn't get the leak fixed the first time.   You wouldn't believe my dismay after putting the radiator back in and monkeying around with getting the air bubbles purged when refilling the system to find a quarter sized drop of coolant on the floor when I went to move the car back into its parking area.  Sure enough I could see that there was a bigger leak than I had when I first pulled the rad.   Took it back to the shop and they said they pressure test every radiator after a repair but when they put it back in the tank it started bubbling.  Old guy said he couldn't explain it but made good and fixed it.   Needless to say the radiator came out and went in a lot quicker the second time.

Tom