[DeTomaso] Fw: Re: Intake gaskets

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 15:00:38 EST 2010

> A while ago Ken Green and I were speculating that the turkey tray
> would keep a non-airgap intake cooler (and the charge happier) even
> with the exhaust crossovers blocked?

Possibly but there are other places you'll want to address to
keep heat transfer to a minimum.  Vizard's latest book (an
entirely new version of "How to Build Horsepower") has a good
example of the effect of cold air induction.  The engine tested
is an EFI 5.0L Ford.  The runners were Extrude Honed (smooth
surfaces transfer less heat, not necessarily a good move for
a wet flow carb intake) and a C&L cold-air kit with K&N filter
drawing air from the fender was fitted.  The outside was coated
with zirconium oxide and the inside of the runners were coated
with a thermal barrier. A splash tray was fitted and filled with
structural foam and the heat passage in the throttle body spacer
eliminated.  Baseline was with the C&L cold air intake system
and the Mustang ran the 1/4 mile in 13.67 seconds @ 99.62 MPH.
After Extrude Hone, that improved to 13.51 seconds @ 101.01 MPH.
With the thermal management applied, the results were 13.07
seconds @ 104.31 MPH.  On the dyno, the improvement was 44 HP
and 35 ft-lbs.  That's quite an improvement.

Cold intakes made better power on the dyno 351C compared to
heat soaked ones.  Keep in mind this is open air dyno which
keeps the engine cooler than a vehicle's engine compartment.

Dan Jones