[DeTomaso] Valve springs in action (video)

Tom Borcich tborcich at msn.com
Fri Dec 3 10:22:41 EST 2010

For all the gear heads (probably everyone on the forum) here’s a few video links showing what a valve spring does:
The first one has a title that the valves float at 10k rpm. This is a stock Ford 427 FE SOHC motor. The springs seem to bounce
as they go through the open and closing phase...I don’t see where it’s floating, maybe where the spring seems to bounce... the
valve seems to be closed but I would guess any bit of the valve being open would be float? None the less it amazing to see why
its so important to have the right springs, rocker arms, etc. Look very closely it appears that the spring retainer rotates during
operation and you can see the valve lash allowing the valve to close completely.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXrQw8cXEiI&NR=1

This one shows a roller tip on a 427 FE SOHC motor with a bolt coming loose at 10k rpm.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXrQw8cXEiI&feature=related

7000 rpm - springs and dampners of different color really shows what they all are doing during operation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_NpzU4pGjc&feature=related

Another video shows float a 8000 rpm. video seems to go crazy in the middle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_REQ1PUM0rY&feature=related

Best regards,

Tom