[DeTomaso] Sad story of a neglected gas tank

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Thu Dec 2 23:18:35 EST 2010

Nice pics Larry.  Looks like he was storing water along with the gas.

Must have had lots of condensation.  Was the car stored indoors?

I'm glad that mine didn't look like that after it sat for 27+ years.  I had left
8 gallons of premium (I think it was leaded fuel) in the tank, and there wasn't
any gum or varnish or rust in the tank.  The gas actually had a slight sweet
smell to it, the way good leaded premium smelled.......or was that avgas? : >)

I ran the old gas in one of my older trucks (with two tanks) and I could not tell
any difference in the way that the truck ran between the old gas and fresh gas,
other than cold starting.  You can't start a cold engine using old gas, but it will
hot start.  I was prepared for this.  That is why I used the truck with two gas tanks.
I would cold start on the fresh gas.  When I got on the freeway, I would switch
to the old gas, and then switch back to the fresh gas about a mile from home.
Worked just fine.

John