[DeTomaso] Intake gaskets

doug351c doug351c at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 23:08:08 EST 2010

Tony,

I do the same and have had the same success with getting a good seal.
Although they are more expensive than that Mr Gasket 5836's that Dan
referred to.

FWIW, here's my installation procedure (critique and improvement suggestions
are welcome):

First, if your manifold has an exhaust crossover and your intention is for
it to be functional, you'll need to cut a rectangular window at the center
of each side gasket.  For street driven 351C's, I highly recommend making it
functional to improve off-idle response.  Degrease the head and intake
surfaces with lacquer thinner.  Apply a thin coat of "the Right Stuff" (TRS)
to the head side of the side gaskets around the perimeter of each port over
the blue "print-o-seal" areas.  Then apply Devcon Contact Cement (DCC) on
small mating areas of both the side gaskets and the heads.  You only need it
at 3 or 4 places between the ports near the bolt holes.  The idea is for the
DCC to hold the gaskets in place while the TRS cures.  After a 5 minute wait
for the DCC to get tacky, carefully place the gaskets on the heads then
lightly cinch the manifold to the head and let it dry overnight.  Remove the
intake, apply a thin film of TRS to the block's end  rails, then set the end
rail gaskets in place on the block.  Next, apply a dab of TRS where the end
rail gaskets meet the port gaskets at the 4 corners of the block.  Also
apply a light film of TRS to the side gaskets around each port entry over
the blue print-o-seal areas.  Lower the manifold into place, torque 25 lb-ft
for the 5/16" bolts & 30 lb-ft for the 3/8" bolts and let it cure overnight.
If desired, you can trim the excess off the side gaskets at the front of the
heads for a cleaner look.

Also, the best tool I've seen for removing old gaskets is part number S-4U
from www.goodson.com.
This is $25 carbide edged scraper that puts all others to shame.

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505