[DeTomaso] someone school me on the Holman Moody manifold

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Dec 1 20:54:36 EST 2010

In a message dated 12/1/10 17 42 45, ccunnyng at ix.netcom.com writes:

> Otherwise I'm not finding much information specific to the HM.  Any
> sources to recommend or insights on my set up?

Dan Jones, who has forgotten more about the 351C than all of us put
together will ever know, wrote on the 351C forum,

"I'm told the Blue Thunder is a copy of the Holman-Moody 351C dual plane
high rise. "

If that's true, you're fortunate, as this is arguably the best all-around
intake you can get.   Dan and I did a back-to-back dyno test comparison of
about ten different intakes on my 408 stroker Cleveland, and found that the
Blue Thunder was basically the equal of the tall, single-plane tarantula-style
Holley Strip Dominator--but my Blue Thunder allows the carburetor to fit
under the engine screen (because the top of the intake has been milled off to
lower it and level it).

The HM version of the intake is apparently extremely rare; the same intake
was marketed with Shelby tags for awhile, and then by Blue Thunder.   All of
them were cast by Buddy Bar in LA.

https://buddybarcasting.com/Home.html

Buddy Bar has been Ford/Shelby casting since the 1960s at least; all the
cool, trick and ultra-rare Shelby parts (oil pans, intakes, valve covers, etc.
etc.) were all made there, and Shelby still uses them toda to cast their
aluminum blocks etc.