[DeTomaso] R 12 conversions

Jim Gray grayjim at att.net
Tue Aug 31 22:29:14 EDT 2010

Just my expensive experience.

I tried the conversion to R 134a and it never worked.  I changed compressor,
condenser, drier and hoses.  After $1,500 I gave up.  The higher pressures
with R134a kept blowing the hoses off.  When I put in a high pressure cut
off switch the thing cycled on, cycled off, cycled on, cycled off. No
cooling.

I went back to R12 and it works GREAT!  Sometimes I have to turn it off
because it's too cold. If I were fearless I'd use the propane based
coolants.  The Arizona guys tell me they use it and it freezes them out!

Don't forget, if I'm not mistaken, that R134a will be outlawed in new cars
produced in Europe after this year.  The R134a has not proved to be the
ultimate coolant. The propane based refrigerants are legal in Canada and
most of the rest of the world.  The political clout of DuPont has been a big
factor in the use of R134a in the US.  That's just my opinion.

Your experience may vary.
Jim Gray