[DeTomaso] R 12 conversions

LarryFinch fresnofinches at aol.com
Tue Aug 31 21:00:28 EDT 2010

While I am sure Jeff's experience is valid, there are horror stories on the quick and dirty conversions.

I would like to hear Jeff's experience with York compressor systems circa 1972 such as our cars were equipped with.

Or expansion valve systems, such as our cars.

A 2004 Honda and a 1972 Pantera are different critters.

You roll the dice......

On the other hand, R-12 is a better refrigerant than 134a, period.
The phase out of 134a is coming sooner than most realize.

R-12 systems are not illegal to service, but you will have trouble finding a shop that still does so.
But if they still do it, they probably have years of experience.

In any case, R-12 or 134a...

What compressor is in your car? Stock or converted to rotary? Is it still functional?
How old are the lines? Do they leak?
Will they leak with the smaller molecules of 134a?
Is the screen in the expansion valve clogged?
Did the desiccant bag in the drier break and clog the system somewhere?
Has anyone added a high/low pressure shut off switch to protect the system in the event of a freeze-up or refrigerant loss?
Do you want to convert to the three speed blower fan motor?
Do you want to upgrade to the better evaporator sold by the vendors?
Do you want to convert to the upgraded condenser?

Or, you can roll the dice....

Larry

=