[DeTomaso] R 12 conversions

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 18:35:45 EDT 2010

Hi everyone. Someone told me about an alternative  for R-12 refrigerant. One
was supposedly based on Propane )LPG).  My local mechanic also is
advertising  a service that modifies your system to be able to  use R 134.
They claim to purge the system of R12 , changing the fittings and then
purging all the  freon and using a combination of oil and other chemicals to
completely   remove the old chemicals and replace them with R 134A ( after
purging the system). They claim that this will allow your system to work
without any other modification or replacement of parts (like the
compressor). Is anyone familiar with this type of conversion or the use of
substitutes for R12?. I have not tried to charge my system since I bought my
car ( approximately 3 years) I have several cans of R 12  and I have no
signs of any leaks in the system. The car was sitting for several years
before I bought it. The previous owner was deceased for some time prior to
my purchase of the car.. The owner owned an auto parts business and  an auto
salvage business. He apparently was sick and out of commission and unable
to  use the car much while he was sick.  Prior to the onset of his illness
he apparentlty spent allot of money at Hall Pantera.  He had lots of Hall
products installed ( stainless steel water tubes, Hall big bore headers and
mufflers,  stainless steel fire wall cover , pressure bottles and over flow
bottles. He also had several years worth of several year old Hall sales
materials.. It doesn't prove anything but I would be inclined to think he
had it functional. So ow that I have the car running with a degree of
reliability I would like to have the AC functioning. If there is a way to do
it that is less expensive then replacing the compressor I would be inclined
to try the alternatives first. So any advice is welcome.

Boyd