[DeTomaso] (no subject)

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sat Aug 28 01:26:57 EDT 2010

  Okay, so that eliminates everything from the input shaft back,
including the pilot bearing.  Therefore, it's either in the engine, or
as Julian was pointing out, something fishy in the clutch.  Either the
pressure plate or the disc may have thrown a spring, or the flywheel is
seriously out of balance.  I'd check out all the typical engine stuff
too.  Make sure the firing order is correct, no broken plugs, all valves
moving, etc.  It may be easier to remove some valve covers and check the
top end before pulling the trans, but I'm guessing you're in for a
transmission R&R.

Just on the off chance you might see something.  Pop off your inspection
hole cover and peek inside with a flashlight.  Depending on the pressure
plate you have, there should be at least three spots you can peer in to
kind of look around at the assembly.

Good luck.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired