[DeTomaso] Pantera near disaster follow up

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 23:41:45 EDT 2010

My car is back on the road  and it is running and riding as  smooth as a
Swiss watch.  I replaced  all the broken parts and did the reassembly by the
book. I used loctite on the drive line hardware, I torqued everything
according to the specs. I did all the lug nuts by hand and tightened the lug
nuts in the star pattern and tightened them incrementally and used my new
torque wrench to bring them  to the specified torque. After everything was
done I started test driving the car  for a few miles and then checking the
status of all the fasteners.
I was sure to loosen torqued nuts before re tightening and re torquing to
specs. So far everything appears to be doing fine. I have not noticed any
problems and the car drives great! Mt brakes are finished being bedded and
they have a very smooth and fluid feel. I an currently using an after
market  master cylinder. It looks similar to one sold by Hall. It has two
separate reservoirs and is mounted via an adapter to the booster. I have two
CNC master cylinders that have a 3/4 " cylinder bore and are joined
together  by a balance bar assembly .
This is CNC's web sight http://www.cncbrakes.com/
<http://www.cncbrakes.com/>
For anyone unfamiliar with CNC the make great products. They make master
cylinders that can be used for Panteras  in both brake and clutch
applications. You can get several different cylinder diameters  which can be
used to compensate for the short throw of our clutch master cylinder. You
can also order a stainless steel lined  cylinder. They also make calipers.
My master cylinder set up can be found  under the "Street rods assemblies"
listed as a model
204http://www.cncbrakes.com/sra.asp?grp=sra&subgrp=d&series=240&subseries=
This dual master cylinder set up will work with the bower booster which when
combined with the dual master cylinders should give me allot of pedal power.
I have sufficient to pressurize my four , 4 piston Brembo calipers. With the
dual 3/4" master cylinders it should produce even more brake  pedal
pressure. I didn't want to complicate matters until I had everything in the
basic system working right. I haven't had to make a real power brake yet but
I have had a firm pedal and the car has stopped very smoothly  so far. The
most disappointing thing is that the New York roads suck so much. I haven't
wanted to travel  too far away from home because of the "Test Pilot" nature
of my driving so far.  Once I have had a chance to have the alignment re
done and the wheels high speed balanced I will take it out on a nice high
way that's as smooth as a babys bottom. The car feels so good now I can
hardly wait to drive it on a nice road and get to check out how it handles
doing some "Real driving".
If anyone would like to see some pictures of the finished product let me
know. and I will post some. It does look nice  according to my Pantera
taste principals Stock narrow body L with the exception of wheels  (which
allow the view of the big Red Brembo calipers and the 13.1" gas vented
rotors) and cats eye lights Visually everything else is stock.

Boyd