[DeTomaso] (no subject)

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Aug 27 20:13:44 EDT 2010

Sean,

One more datapoint.

John Christian had a rumble in his rear that simply confounded him, and Asa
Jay, and me, and several professional tire shop technicians, for a full
day.   New tires, alignment, driveshafts, etc. etc.

It turned out that he had a rear wheel bearing, that had a tight spot.   It
would tighten up once per revolution.   We finally figured it out by
jacking the rear of the car off the ground, and running it up to 80 mph or so in
5th gear, then putting it in neutral and chasing the wocka wocka wocka sound
with a mechanic's stethoscope.

This is obviously a job best done with assistants, i.e. somebody behind the
wheel and ready to assume both feet on the brake at any moment.   The car
was supported on two jackstands and a floor jack and the front wheels were
chocked, but still, you can't be too careful.