[DeTomaso] (no subject)

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Fri Aug 27 20:07:59 EDT 2010

I'm not so sure it's your clutch.

At what speed does it vibrate?
 From standstill up to when?
Does it vibrate if you are sitting still, no movement?
Does it go away at higher rpm if you sitting still?
Does it do it sitting still with both the clutch pedal depressed and
not depressed?

If it's -not- vibrating when sitting still, but only when moving, it's
something else, like half-shaft bolts.

If it's vibrating at a stand still, does it do it both with the clutch
pedal in -and- out?

If yes with pedal in (and gear shift -in- a gear) but NOT with pedal
out (gear shift in neutral), it's most likely a pilot bearing.  With
shifter in gear and clutch pedal -in-, the input shaft is not moving
and the engine is turning, versus with the trans in neutral and the
clutch pedal out, the input shaft is mated to the flywheel and turns
at the same rate as the engine.  So if you have vibration with pedal
in but not out, it's most likely a pilot bearing.  If you have
vibration at a standstill with both pedal in and out... I'd start
suspecting something else.

If it does not vibrate at all at a stand still, then it's something
from the output of the transmission to where the rubber meets the
road.  This could cover everything from the differential in the trans,
to the half-shaft bolts, to bearings in the rear uprights.

Are you near any other Pantera owners on this list?  Get someone over
to help you narrow this down.  See what you can answer from above and
let's see if we can get you any closer.

Something I typically don't recommend.  If you are moving and can feel
the vibration... shift to neutral.  Does it go away?  If yes, it's
something in the output of the transmission.  If it does not go away,
then shut off the engine.  Does it go away?  If yes, it's anything
engine up through input shaft.  If no, then it's in your wheels and
bearings.

Hope that helps.
Asa Jay

--
Asa Jay Laughton - sent from somewhere other than home