[DeTomaso] (no subject)

sean mundy seanmundy at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 27 19:34:32 EDT 2010

I need some advice again.   A few months ago I brought this up in the forum but I still have the same issue with clutch chatter and vibration.
Before installing a new clutch and resurfacing the flywheel a few months ago I didn’t have any significant engine vibration.
After installing a new clutch I now have significant clutch chatter and a very strong vibration from the engine.
With the new Quella – Mcleod clutch/pressure plate, pilot needle bearing and resurfaced
flywheel the motor vibrates a whole bunch in the 2500 -3000 rpm range but lessens a bit as the revs climb from there.
This is occurring with the clutch engaged or disengaged.
I’m assuming the vibration is solely related to the new parts installed because I had no vibration previously.
It’s actually very uncomfortable to drive now as the whole car resonates and vibrates terribly at this rpm on the freeway in 5th gear at 60mph.
Besides, I don’t know if I’m damaging the engine running it with this severe vibration.
Figuring something was wrong with the parts I removed them and took it all back to the machine
shop and had the flywheel balanced with the pressure plate.   I reinstalled the balanced set but the engine
is still vibrating exactly the same as before and I still have clutch chatter.   My harmonic balancer seems fine and the motor mount bolts all are tight.
Before I break my back AGAIN removing everything I would like some ideas on what my next steps should
be to make sure this last attempt fixes the problem for good.

Thanks, Sean Mundy