[DeTomaso] Resetting Ride Height With Stiffer Coils

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Thu Aug 26 00:02:19 EDT 2010

Actually I think one could calculate how to set the new coilovers

If your car is stock and your springs are still at original strength then the distance from mounting bolt center to MBC is 13.683" loaded.

You will have to measure the MBC to MBC distance on your stock coilovers before disassembling them.

Then you will know how much the unit compresses under load

The new unit will compress 350/450 as much.  This is an assumption on my part, but no matter what the wheel rate is, the proportion should stay the same, since the geometry is the same.

So say (uncompressed distance minus 13.683) = Z inches.  ( I think the guy at Aldan said they figure about 1" when fitting shocks), then the new unit will compress Z x 350/450 = Y
You want the new unit to be 13.683" when it is compressed, just like your current one.

So you will want the new coilovers to be ( Z - Y) inches shorter from MBC to MBC unloaded before you install them.

A possible spoiler here would be the degree to which the stock springs are preloaded in the coilover unit.   If they are already compressed a few mm to keep them from moving about when they are unloaded, that would affect how much more they compress under load.  The springs in your coilovers will have no preload unless you crank down on them.

Also, if your stock springs have weaked to some number other than 350 then that will affect the outcome too.

But I would think you will at least be in the ballpark with this calculation.

The 0.5 to 0.337 ratio would apply if you wanted to lower the car by 0.5"-- you would shorten the unit by 0.337" before installing it.

Make sense?  Remember-- I'm not an engineer and college physics was a long time ago. :-)

Jim