[DeTomaso] Rookie Update...

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Aug 25 00:28:05 EDT 2010

In a message dated 8/24/10 20 01 25, peterdemayo at comcast.net writes:

My previous email mentioned that illumination lights for all gauges and
speedometer were out, but tach worked. Fans and fan light were not working
either. Before jumping into things tonight I took time to see if and anything
else electrical was out. Low and behold the reverse lights and front passenger
turn signal were not operating.

>>>I'm rather surprised that tach illumination works, but the others don't?
  They should all be on the same circuit, I think?

> >·        One thing I did not bring up before is my key ignition. I didn’
> t think it was related to my problems, and it very well may not be.
> Nonetheless, somehow it was miraculously fixed tonight. I have been having
> problems turning off the car. I turn the key back and instead of the car shutting
> off it just keeps running. It’s been about a 50/50 split occurrence.
>
>>>Okay, now we're getting somewhere--clearly your car is haunted. :>) :>)
:>)

> Let the games begin:
> 1)    Left Fuse #3 out, which is the one that kept blowing when I started
> the car.
> 2)    Did ground test on fan relay and messed with wire. Fan and fan light
> went on! I have tried this once before and last time it was unsuccessful;
> go figure.
>
>>>Well, at least you've isolated that the components at the end of the
line are working as advertised! :>)

> >3)    Instrument lights, front pass turn signal, speedo, and reverse
> lights still remained out. Keep in mind Fuse #3 was still removed.
>
>>>That would explain it--but again, are you saying your tach light is
working under this circumstance?

> >4)    Replaced fuse #3 multiple times after messing with relays and
> starting car. Fuse blew every time.
>
>>>I love the idea that Asa Jay put forth about using a properly rated
circuit breaker instead of a fuse.   I wish I had thought to mention that--hats
off to AJ! :>)

Actually, I have circuit breakers instead of fuses in my aux fusebox, for
powering the fans.   There's no real reason for it, other than it seemed like
an elegant idea (it wasn't my idea) to ensure that the fans would keep
working.   If the circuit got overloaded, they'd have a little time-out and then
hopefully come back to life.   So far it's never happened, but I'm ready if
it does.

> >Everything out, but fans working great and did so for rest of the night.
> 5)    Replaced Fuse #3 with a 10 amp vs. the 8 amp the box calls for,
> messed with relays….. and finally all instrument lights/speedo came on! Fuse
> did not blow.  All the better, I realized my buddy and I had turned the car
> off and on numerous times.  Not once did I have a problem w/ the key
> ignition or turning off the car. Throughout the remainder of the night, there were
> an “s-load” of starts and shut-offs. Again and again the key ignt. worked
> flawlessly. Linked? Who knows?
>
>>>See above comment re:   haunted. :>)

> >6)    Reverse and Rt. Pass. Signal remained out.
> 7)    After pulling my hair out for a while, I finally stumbled upon what
> I think is the reverse light problem and why fuse #3 may be blowing. On the
> left side of the trans there is a shifter housing mounted. It has a small 1
> ” metal “cube” that screws into the housing w/ 2 wires coming off. The
> bottom was blown out and hanging. Obviously the connection is destroyed.
> Regardless if this is failing the rev. lights or not, it needs to be fixed.
>
>>>Others have already mentioned that this is the backup light switch.
Power comes in through one wire, flows through the switch and then back out
the other wire.   If you disconnect both wires and touch the ends together,
the backup lights will illuminate.  (On some cars, the key has to be on, or
maybe the lights have to be on for the backup lights to receive power, while
on other cars, they are hot all the time, so you can park your car in reverse
and walk away from it, with the backup lights stuck on.   I presume this
latter scheme was used on the early cars, but this is all vague recollection
and I'm too tired to place chase-the-wire-through-the-schematic tonight).

> >8)    Will this fix the turn signal? I think so, but I would love to
> hear everyone’s thoughts.
> Hope I didn’t bore you with my ordeal, but I felt compelled to respond.
> Lots of passion flying around my issue in the last 24 hours! Personally I
> think it was an epic entrance into POCA!  You can’t buy that! Thanks so much
> everyone; I assure you that every single opinion was taken with
> appreciation.
> PJD
> PS- I owe you all pictures, stay tuned!
>
>>>Thanks for keeping us updated!   Eventually I'm sure you'll get it
narrowed down, and if you hit a real roadblock, Bill Taylor will crack the case!
:>)