[DeTomaso] Wheel Question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Aug 24 18:50:49 EDT 2010

In a message dated 8/24/10 10 29 1, dakelm at qwest.net writes:

> Duh! A 295 has a section width (not to be confused with tread width) of
> nearly 12"! Put that on an 8" wheel which has an outside width of 9" and
> you
> end up with a tire "bulge", or overhang, of 1.5" on both sides of the
> wheel,
> roughly the thickness of a 2 X 4! That is completely outside the
> parameters
> of most tire manufacturers recommendations.
>

>FWIW, BFG's recommended wheel width for the 305-50/15 is 8-10 inches.   I
think they look silly on an 8-inch wheel though.

>If you can't find a 60 series
profile tire that meets your approval, just bite the bullet and step up to
Campy clones which will accommodate modern tire sizes.

>>>Or, if you're up for a challenge, try to find a set of 10-inch Campy
wheels to properly support those big 15-inch tires. :>)

Mike (damn glad to have two sets--one for my Hoosier race tires...)